Choosing MBBS As A Career!
What is MBBS?
MBBS stands for Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery. It’s a professional Undergraduate Degree course in medical science that can
be completed from a college/university recognized by the Medical Council of India. Professionals holding MBBS degrees are referred by the
title of "Doctor" and use the prefix "Dr".
Eligibility for MBBS is 10 + 2 with minimum 50% marks and Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Zoology and English as mandatory subjects. A medical aspirant wishing to get admission in MBBS needs to clear NEET exam conducted by NTA(National Testing Agency).
The duration of MBBS course is five years and 6 months including 1 year of rotational internship at hospitals, health centres, and health camps organised by NGOs.
MBBS admission in government colleges is highly competitive because of extremely low fees. MBBS fee in private colleges is very high and in some colleges it can go above 1 Cr.
Important Facts about MBBS
|Full Form||Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery|
|Course Duration||5 Year and 6 months (1 year internship)|
|Total Available Seats||76928 (Government + Private)|
|Course Fee||10000 - 50000 (Government Colleges)200000 - 2200000(Private College)|
Why to study MBBS?
Profession of a doctor is one of the noblest professions and MBBS is the gateway to become a doctor in India. Here are some benefits of choosing MBBS as a career.
Perfect job security
- This profession provides perfect job security as the requirements of a doctor or related professionals will always be there till the life on earth exists. Sickness, diseases, injury, accidents are part of life, therefore the need of a doctor will always be there. For a country like India, where the doctor patient ratio is still low, choosing a career as a MBBS is a wise decision.
- After completing the degree, one has the opportunity to work in a Govt/private hospitals, health centres etc. One can also open his own clinic or go abroad.
- Medical field is constantly changing with new research in science and technology. If you want to learn new things and are
interested in continuous learning then this field is only for you.
New diseases, viruses, bacteria, disorders etc. always force scientists to research and come up with solutions. The demand for fast treatment and recovery, use of new instruments, techniques to reduce pain and discomfort etc. will make this field to change rapidly.
High paid salary
- Careers in the medical fields are among one of the highest paying career options. Around 6 years long study is really rewarding once a medical aspirant completes the course. An increase in the demand for medical professionals is one of the reasons for high salary in this field.
- The job of a Doctor is the most respectable and ‘Noble profession’ in the whole world. They save lives and are often given a
title, ‘next to god’. They practise their skill in the field of medicine and cure diseases of people.
There are different types of doctors such as; Physicians, Surgeons, Orthodontist, Gynaecologist, Dentist, ETC. But, regardless of type, all doctors have one thing in common that they have genuine desire to help people. And that is the reason why this profession is considered one of the most respected careers in India and all over the world.
You’ll study the thorough human body
- Human body is very complex. If you are fascinated by this complexity of the human body and want to learn deeply about it’s structure and working then this career is only for you. In this career, you’ll be learning about the human body, common diseases and their treatment etc.
Top Medical College in India…
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)
- Christian Medical College & Hospital (CMC)
- Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC)
- Maulana Azad Medical College (MAMC)
- Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER)
- King George's Medical University
- Institute of Medical Sciences Banaras Hindu University (BHU)
- Lady Hardinge Medical College
- Vardhman Mahavir Medical College
- Grant Medical College and Sir Jamshedjee Jeejeebhoy Group of Hospitals
Eligibility for Admission in MBBS In India
Here are the eligibility requirements for students to get MBBS admission In India.
- Candidates must have passed their 10+2 with 50% from any recognized board.
- Physics, Chemistry, Zoology/Botany and English should be mandatory subjects in their higher secondary level of education (10+2).
- Candidates must have completed the age of 17 years before looking for admission in MBBS course.
- Candidates need to qualify the NEET with a good score to get admission in MBBS.
- Students belonging from the reserved category must have a minimum percentage of 40% in 10+2.
- All the students will have to fulfill all the eligibility requirements mentioned by Medical Council of India (MCI).
Eligibility for Admission in MBBS abroad.
Every country has its own eligibility criteria for mbbs admission. Here we will discuss some common eligibility for mbbs abroad admission.
- The student is required to have attained the age of 17 on December 31 of the year he is pursuing his admission. There is no upper age limit to apply for MBBS abroad.
- The student must have completed his 10+2 from a recognized board.
- The student must have an aggregate percentage of at least 50% or above in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology and must have studied English as a compulsory subject during his 10+2 years.
- Students are also required to qualify the National Eligibility Entrance Test (NEET). This is mandatory even if the student is planning to pursue his medical studies abroad. Candidates should remember that the upper limit for appearing for the NEET is 25 years for General candidates and 30 years for SC/ST/OBC candidates.
MBBS Entrance Exams
Now, there is only one exam to get admission in MBBS in government/private/deemed medical college/university in any part of India,
it’s NEET(UG)(National Eligibility cum Entrance Test).
NEET (UG) or National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (Undergraduate) is a single entrance examination for medical aspirants who want to pursue medical courses like MBBS/BDS/Ayush/BVSc Courses in India or Abroad. NEET (UG) is currently conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA). MBBS admission in different colleges depends on your NEET score. Higher the NEET score, higher will be the chances of getting admission in a good medical college. Due to low availability of MBBS seats in comparison with number of students attempting the NEET makes it mandatory to score good in NEET to get admission in MBBS.
Top Employers after completing MBBS
After completing MBBS degree, one can get a job in Government/Private hospitals, Healthcare centres, Pharmaceutical Companies, Poly clinics or open his own clinic after getting license from MCI. Here are some top recruiters..
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences. Fortis Hospital Religare Health Insurance Company Ltd Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd etc.
- Max hospitals
- Fortis Hospital
- Medanta Hospital
- Religare Health Insurance Company Ltd
- Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd etc.